I wouldn’t say I’m a good cake decorator. Here are examples of my personal best cakes, made for The Tall One’s first birthday. I don’t think anyone thought they came from a professional bakery.
For our anniversary last week, I was ready to show off my amateur cake decorating skills again. I have been looking forward to using a number stencil idea I found on Pinterest. Her photo looks way better than mine, but while I think sprinkles look fun, I don’t actually like eating them. I used unsweetened flaked coconut on chocolate cake instead. To make the number design, I drew the numbers on waxed paper and cut them out. (For more perfect numbers, you could print them from your computer, then trace them onto the waxed paper.) I placed the numbers on top of my frosted cake, sprinkled with coconut, then carefully peeled off the paper. Here is the cute result!
I had two assistants ready and willing to help when it was time to bake this cake. One big weakness of mine as a mom is that I don’t do well with help in the kitchen. Messes stress me out, and I like doing things
the right way my way. Since this was going to be a group project, I wanted to get it done as quickly and easily as possible. I found a one bowl chocolate cake recipe in my trusty Betty Crocker’s New Cookbook (affiliate link) that seemed like a perfect option. I modified it a tad to reduce the fat and sugar, and I substituted butter for the shortening. I also couldn’t help but mix the butter just a little before throwing everything else in because I couldn’t imagine it getting incorporated evenly otherwise. It felt very wrong to put all the ingredients in together, but I must say the end result was terrific. Instead of light and fluffy, this chocolate cake was dense, moist, and satisfying. I used a basic chocolate buttercream frosting, but I’m not going to recommend it because it wasn’t my favorite. Do you have a favorite chocolate frosting? I would love to find one that tastes like chocolate mousse.
More cakes you’ll enjoy:
- Weekly Meal Plan #174: Cheesy Goodness and More - May 20, 2016
- Easy Banana Nut Smoothie Recipe - May 19, 2016
- Layered Chicken Chile Relleno Casserole - May 17, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #173: Two Meal Plans Collide - May 13, 2016
- Crock Pot BBQ Chicken with Applesauce - May 10, 2016
- Raspberry Recipes: Pies, Cocktails, and More! - May 9, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #172: Bad Luck - May 7, 2016
- Easy Guacamole Tostadas with Added Protein - May 3, 2016
- Weekly Wrap Up and Meal Plan #171: Meatballs, Flatbread, and More! - May 1, 2016
- Organic Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread - April 30, 2016