- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar divided
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk I used 2%
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- Place 1 c. sugar in a saucepan, and heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Gently shake the pan occasionally. It may take 10-15 minutes before you see the sugar melt. Once it does, keep shaking and swirling the pan often to avoid scorching.
- When the sugar is completely melted into caramel, pour it into a 9″ pie pan. Swirl the caramel or spread it with a silicone spatula to evenly cover the bottom of the pan. Work fast because it hardens quickly. Set pan aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- While caramel cools, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 c. sugar and remaining ingredients. Using a wire whisk or stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat milk mixture for 3 minutes until well combined.
- Pour filling into pie pan. If caramel is not completely cooled, it might make cracking noises when the filling is added. This is not something to worry about.
- Carefully place the flan in the preheated oven and bake approximately 40 minutes, or until center is set. After baking, allow to cool on a wire rack for 20-30 minutes before moving to refrigerator. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- To serve, slice into wedges, and place each piece of flan upside down on a serving plate.
Sometimes, the caramel can bubble up through a portion of the custard. This won’t look great when you take it out of the oven, but you can’t really tell when you serve it upside down. It doesn’t affect the flavor at all!
- Prep Time: 300
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Mexican