- 15 oz canned black beans drained and liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 oz butter
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- sour cream for serving
- fire roasted tomatoes for serving
- 1 handful coriander leaves roughly chopped
- salted tortilla chips or raw vegetable sticks for dipping
First of all, heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Keep in mind that you’re not trying to brown it, just soften it.
Add the garlic, hot chili pepper flakes, smoked paprika, and brown sugar, and cook for another few minutes (3 minutes max.).
Next, add the canned black beans with their liquid into the pan. Season well with salt and pepper, and simmer on low heat for 7-8 minutes.
Now, just add everything to a food processor and blend it until smooth. Empty into a bowl.
Then, fry the salt pork pieces in a hot frying pan until crispy. (You won’t need any oil for this as it’ll release plenty of its own fat).
Finally, top the bean bowl with sour cream, crispy pork pieces, fire-roasted tomatoes, and fresh coriander leaves. Also, serve the traditional frijoles with salted tortilla chips or raw vegetable sticks. Enjoy dipping!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Appetizers and Snacks
- Cuisine: American