- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 large, skin-on chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 28 oz. can green enchilada sauce
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup I use the “Heart Healthy” kind
- 14 oz. can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 oz. cans pinto beans drained, 15each
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 c. corn tortillas sliced into short, thin strips OR crushed tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Place chicken breasts skin-side down in the pan with the onions. Cook about 5 minutes to allow the skin to brown a little, and then flip chicken over.
- Stir garlic into the onions and allow to cook for about one minute.
- Pour in enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, pinto beans, and cumin. Add about a cup of water (1/2 a small can).
- Stir together a little, but don’t worry if the cream soup is still a bit lumpy at this point. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for at least 40 minutes or up to two hours. Check the soup occasionally to be sure it stays at a low simmer.
- Before serving, carefully remove chicken breasts. Peel off skin and discard. Shred meat with two forks, and add it back to the pot. (Be careful to remove all bones from the meat.)
- Return to a low simmer to heat the chicken before serving.
- Top individual portions with tortilla strips or chips. Enjoy!
- Cook Time: 120
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Green Chicken Enchilada Soup, green enchilada chicken soup