- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced into 1/2” pieces
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 15 oz. can seasoned black beans well drained
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with chiles well drained, or plain if you don’t want spicy
- 1–2 c. Mexican blend shredded cheese
- tortilla chips about 1/2 bag
- sour cream, jalapeño slices, guacamole, or other desired toppings (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and saute 1-2 minutes longer.
Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, and salt, and stir fry until chicken is cooked through. Stir in beans and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
Lay an even layer of chips in the bottom of a 8″ square baking dish (for one large serving to share) or four individual oven-safe bowls. Spread a layer of the chicken mixture evenly over chips, and top with a sparse layer of cheese (I like just enough to hold it all together). Repeat chip/chicken/cheese layer two more times.
Place bowls or baking dish in oven for about 5 minutes, just until cheese is melted. Top with additional desired toppings, and dig in!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican