- 2 cups leftover chicken (about 2 chicken breasts fully cooked and chopped)
- 1/2 pound tortilla chips
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 15 ounces canned tomatillos drained and diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup button mushrooms diced (optional)
- 3 ounces chipotles in adobo sauce (about half a 6.5 ounce can)
- 10 ounces canned cheddar cheese soup
- 1 medium onion peeled and halved
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon milk
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a baking dish (I used a 1 1/2 quart dish but a 2 quart dish would have been perfect!) and set aside.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients into a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with half the chips. Top with half the chicken, half the sauce, half the cheese, and half the tomatillos. Repeat again, but finish off with pepper and mushrooms if using.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until cheese is nicely melted and dish is heated through.
This recipe calls for leftover chicken to create a quick and easy meal! However, feel free to cook up a couple of chicken breasts at 350F for 20 minutes or so if you have no leftovers on hand!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Casseroles, Dinner, Poultry
- Cuisine: Mexican