- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 7 corn tortillas quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño pepper minced
- Fresh white corn (removed from 8-10 cobs) (or roughly 1 lb frozen kernels)
- 1 1/2 pounds baby spinach and sliced tomatoes for topping chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground White Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 limes Zest & Juice
- 24 blue corn tortilla chips (optional garnish)
- queso fresco (optional garnish)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (garnish)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (garnish)
Over medium-high heat, fry tortilla pieces in olive oil until they begin to crisp and turn a golden yellow. Add garlic, onion and jalapeno; cook 1 to 2 minutes, until onion becomes translucent.
Add half the corn along with all other ingredients (except garnishes, sour cream, and lime juice), reserving other half of corn to be added at the end. Bring the soup to a low, even boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat.
Using a blender, process in batches to the consistency of a course puree. Return the soup to the burner and add the reserved corn, sour cream, & lime juice. Bring the soup to a boil once again being extremely careful to avoid scorching or burning the soup. Serve, garnished with blue corn tortilla chips, cilantro, sharp cheddar cheese and/or queso fresco.