- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1/4 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup R.W. Knudsen Organic Tomato Red Bell Pepper Juice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- salt and hot sauce to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot, and stir fry for 3-5 minutes.
Stir in garlic and uncooked rice, and stir fry for about two minutes longer.
Pour in tomato juice, chicken broth, water, and cumin. Stir, and bring to a low boil. Add frozen peas, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Remove cover, and stir in cilantro. Add salt and/or hot sauce to taste. Your Mexican Rice is ready to serve!
- You can substitute a cup of frozen mixed peas and carrots for the fresh carrot and peas if you’d like. (Add the frozen vegetables together as directed above.)
- If you don’t have fresh cilantro, use one tablespoon of dried cilantro instead.
- If you prefer brown rice, the recipe should work as written, but increase the simmering time to 40 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25