- 3 c. Southern-style frozen hashbrowns (these are small cubed potatoes and the amount is approximate)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper cut into short strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut into short strips
- 1 jalapeño seeds and ribs removed, finely diced (optional)
- 1 red onion cut into short strips
- 12 oz. Farmland breakfast sausage links sliced into 1” pieces
- 1 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 1 1/2 c. Mexican blend shredded cheese
- chopped cilantro for garnish optional
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish liberally with cooking spray.
Pour a shallow layer of hashbrown potatoes over the bottom of the pan, about an inch deep. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute bell pepper, jalapeño, and 1/2 tsp. salt for 5 minutes. Add onion and sausage. Continue to cook, stirring often, until sausage is cooked through.
When potatoes have cooked for 20 minutes, carefully remove pan from the oven. Spread sausage mixture over the potatoes.
Whisk together eggs, milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Pour eggs evenly over the casserole. Spread cheese over the top.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Return casserole to the oven, and bake 20-25 minutes longer, or until eggs are set in the center. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
The purple onion will bleed a bit when the casserole is stored in the refrigerator. If you plan to make this ahead of time, I recommend using sweet onion instead.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Breakfast