- 1/4 c. steak sauce like A1 or Lea and Perrins
- 1/2 c. Marsala wine you can substitute beef broth if you prefer
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 3/4 c. water
- 1 sweet onion cut in half and sliced
- 8–16 oz. whole mushrooms baby portabellas recommended
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 3–4 lb. chuck roast or other marbled beef roast
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning use seasoned salt if you don’t like spicy
- 1/4 c. cold water
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
Add steak sauce, wine, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic and water to slow cooker, and whisk together. Add about half the onion and mushrooms. Lightly crush whole sprigs of herbs with your hand to release their lovely fragrance, and place two of each herb in the slow cooker.
Rub all sides of the roast with Cajun seasoning, and place it in the crockpot. Add remaining onion, mushroom, and herbs on top of the meat. Spoon wine mixture over the top of the meat, cover slow cooker, and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Turn meat over once during cooking if possible.
About 15 minutes before serving, stir cornstarch into cold water until dissolved, and then gently stir mixture into slow cooker. (This will thicken the sauce up a bit and make it beautifully shiny.)
Shred beef and serve over rice with mushrooms and sauce.
The amount of mushrooms in this recipe varies depending on your taste. Adding more mushrooms can also help stretch the roast to serve more people!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 480
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Slow Cooker