- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup bulgur uncooked
- 1/2 cup quinoa or white rice uncooked
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- seasoned salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 red onion
- 4 Roma or campari tomatoes seeds removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and cut into large pieces
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
In a small saucepan, bring chicken broth, bulgur, and quinoa/rice to a low boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove lid, fluff with fork, and allow to cool at least 15 minutes.
While the grains cook, drizzle 2 tsp. olive oil over chicken breasts, and sprinkle lightly with seasoned salt. Cook chicken however you like: in a skillet, baked in the oven (or toaster oven), or grilled. I baked mine in the toaster oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool 10-15 minutes, and then dice into bite-sized pieces.
While chicken and grains cook, add vinegar, remaining 3 tbsp. olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to a large bowl.
Add onion, seeded tomatoes, bell pepper, and spinach to food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. (If you don’t have a food processor, dice the vegetables by hand.) Stir the chopped vegetables into the dressing in the large bowl.
Stir in cooked and cooled grains and chicken. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before serving.
You can use any combination of bulgur, white rice, and quinoa to equal one cup total for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10
- Passive Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20