- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 baby bok choy chopped (separate white and green pieces)
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced very thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce or substitute regular soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 ounces pad thai rice noodles (1/2 package)
- 1 pound small raw shrimp peeled (51-60/pound)
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
Heat sesame oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add white pieces of bok choy and carrots, saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and saute one minute longer.
Add broth, water, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil.
Add uncooked noodles, and cook 2 minutes, separating noodles as they cook. Stir in shrimp, green onions, and green pieces of bok choy. Cook 2-3 minutes longer.
Turn off heat, stir in rice vinegar, and serve immediately.
If you prefer chicken instead of shrimp, add boneless, skinless chicken breasts with the broth. Simmer until chicken is heated through, remove to shred meat, and return to pot with noodles.
Adapted from Asian Chicken Noodle Soup at Eat, Live, Run.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Dinner, Pasta and Noodles, Seafood, Soups
- Cuisine: Asian