- 8 slices sandwich bread
- olive oil
- garlic salt (optional)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and sliced into 1/2” thick pieces
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- handful fresh basil minced
- Preheat panini press, waffle iron, or oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly rub one side of each slice of bread with olive oil, and sprinkle garlic salt over the oil if desired. Flip bread over. Arrange mozzarella slices on both sides of bread for each sandwich. Evenly arrange a layer of chicken over the cheese on one slice, and spoon a couple tablespoons of sauce over the chicken. Leave about 1/2″ of chicken around the edges uncovered because the sauce will squish out a bit when the sandwich is pressed together. Sprinkle basil over the sauce.
- If preparing in a panini press or waffle iron, put the sides of each sandwich together. Spray the iron lightly with cooking spray (if recommended for your appliance), place a sandwich inside, and press closed. Cooking time will depend on your appliance, but with my waffle iron I cooked it through two waffle cycles. Cut sandwiches in half if desired and serve.
- If preparing in an oven, place the unassembled sides of the sandwiches on a baking sheet(s), and bake for 7-10 minutes, until cheese is completely melted. Put sides of sandwiches together, cut if desired, and serve.
This recipe is great with leftover chicken. If you are cooking the chicken just for these sandwiches, season it lightly with seasoned salt, and bake, saute, or grill until cooked through before slicing.
I originally shared this recipe at Julie’s Eats and Treats.