- 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. all purpose flour OK to substitute spelt flour if wheat intolerant
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 12 maraschino cherries chopped
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat for 30 seconds. Stir, and heat another 30 seconds. Stir vigorously for about a minute, and all chocolate should be melted. If unmelted chocolate remains, heat for 15-30 seconds longer and stir again until melted.
- With an electric mixer or by hand, stir together melted chocolate, sugar, cherry juice, and oil. Stir in eggs one at a time until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until dry ingredients are incorporated. Gently stir in chopped cherries. Dough will be soft.
- Place powdered sugar in a pie plate or other shallow dish. Using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoon measure, drop balls of dough into the powdered sugar. Roll each cookie around in the sugar, and then gently bounce it in your hand to shake off excess and shape it into a ball again. Press the top of the coated dough ball lightly into the sugar to coat it well, and then place cookies on the lined baking sheet two inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes, allow to cool for a few minutes on the pan, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker’s Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 12
- Category: Dessert