These Cherry Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are as delicious as they are beautiful!
I love crinkle cookies because of their beautiful crackled powdered sugar tops and soft texture, but I had never actually made them myself. I’ve been eyeing a recipe in my favorite Betty Crocker cookbook for years, and I wanted to finally try it but with a twist. Since I love chocolate-covered cherries, I decided to add some cherry flavor to these tasty chocolate cookies.
The cherry flavor in these crinkle cookies is subtle, but you could add even more maraschino cherries to the mix if you want it to be stronger. The dough is quite soft, so you need to handle it a bit delicately when you coat the dough balls in powdered sugar. I’ll show you how in this quick video before I get to the full recipe.
I would be happy to enjoy these chocolate cherry cookies any time of year, but they will be especially perfect for holiday cookie exchanges and goodie bags. Enjoy!Print
- 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. all purpose flour OK to substitute spelt flour if wheat intolerant
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 12 maraschino cherries chopped
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat for 30 seconds. Stir, and heat another 30 seconds. Stir vigorously for about a minute, and all chocolate should be melted. If unmelted chocolate remains, heat for 15-30 seconds longer and stir again until melted.
- With an electric mixer or by hand, stir together melted chocolate, sugar, cherry juice, and oil. Stir in eggs one at a time until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until dry ingredients are incorporated. Gently stir in chopped cherries. Dough will be soft.
- Place powdered sugar in a pie plate or other shallow dish. Using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoon measure, drop balls of dough into the powdered sugar. Roll each cookie around in the sugar, and then gently bounce it in your hand to shake off excess and shape it into a ball again. Press the top of the coated dough ball lightly into the sugar to coat it well, and then place cookies on the lined baking sheet two inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes, allow to cool for a few minutes on the pan, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker’s Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 12
- Category: Dessert
Here are a few tools I love for this recipe:
(These are affiliate links, so I make a small commission on any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting The Weary Chef!)
Looking for more cookie recipes? Here are some of my favorites!