One of the coziest ways to start a chilly day with your loved ones is to prepare some fluffy, hot, and full-of-flavor pancakes! Why won’t you spice things up a little, and impress them with the fall pumpkin pancakes?
Light and fluffy with crisp edges, these flavored pumpkin pancakes have a nice fall spice and are wonderful with a cup of coffee on a chilly morning. They’re also a great way to use the leftover pumpkin purée from those autumn baking recipes. Not to mention that you can always prepare more and keep them in the freezer for up to 2 months, so you don’t have to make them from scratch every morning.
Is Pumpkin Puree the Same as Canned pumpkin?
Canned pumpkin and pumpkin puree should be the same thing. All these terms mean 100% steamed and pureed pumpkin: no extras, no add-ins (not even in the canned variety). However, the taste and texture may differ. While, canned pumpkin is made of steamed, pureed pumpkin, or a blend of pumpkin and other squashes, homemade pumpkin puree is usually made with a sugar pie or baking pumpkin.
To make pumpkin puree, you roast the pumpkin and then puree it in a blender or food processor. With this method, you can control the texture of the final result. Also, keep in mind that fresh pumpkins can create varying results depending on the pumpkin you choose – so research a little about the types of pumpkins, in order to choose the right one for your desired recipe.
Homemade Pumpkin Recipe
Some fluffy pumpkin pancakes are the absolute best dish for every late-morning breakfast and they are so easy to make with everyday ingredients! These favorite pancakes are packed full of fall flavor with pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and maple syrup on top. They’re a fall staple in our family, and we always look forward to them on a chilly weekend morning.
What You Need to Make Pumpkin Pancakes
Here is the ingredient list for these fluffy pumpkin pancakes. There is nothing you wouldn’t already have in your pantry, except maybe the pumpkin puree. However, you can find it in almost any supermarket near home, or you can just buy a pumpkin and make the puree yourself. If you haven’t made pumpkin puree till now but you want to try to make it yourself for this pancake recipe, I prepared some extra instructions for you. You don’t have to worry, is super simple.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree;
- 1 1/2 cup milk;
- 1 large egg;
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil;
- 2 cups all-purpose flour;
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar;
- 2 teaspoon baking powder;
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon;
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger;
- 1/2 teaspoon salt;
- cooking spray or oil for frying.
Before getting started with the instructions for the pancake recipe, here are the basic steps for preparing the pumpkin puree.
- Firstly, cut the pumpkin in half and discard the strings and seeds.
- Next, in a shallow baking dish, place the two halves face down and cover with foil. OR (if you don’t have aluminum foil on hand) peel the pumpkin halves and cut them into cubes before placing them in the baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for about 1½ hours for a medium-sized sugar pumpkin (until tender).
- Once the baked pumpkin has cooled, scoop out the flesh (if you bake it in halves) and purée or mash it.
- In addition, for silky smooth custards or soups, press the pumpkin purée through a sieve.
Now, that you know how to make a 100% natural pumpkin puree, we can learn how to prepare fluffy pumpkin pancakes. Here are the simple instructions:
- Stir together milk, pumpkin, egg, and oil in a large bowl until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Add to pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients; whisk until combined.
- Next, spray a griddle or frying pan with cooking spray (or add just a little vegetable oil); heat over medium-high heat.
- Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter for each pancake onto the hot pan and flatten it slightly with a spoon. Cook the pancakes until small bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Then, flip and cook until golden brown, about 2 more minutes.
- Finally, serve them with a butter cube on top and some maple syrup.
Easy Video Recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes
Here is the easy video recipe for these fluffy and delicious pumpkin pancakes. I know how easy is for many of you to just watch the video recipe and get to work! So, I try to post as many video recipes as I can. However, if you have some spare time, try reading the article as well. Most of the time I add some helpful tips in the written part of the recipe or even a funny experience of mine. Sometimes those can mean a real help!
Enjoy Your Fluffy Pancakes!
Finally, it’s time for you to share your experience with the pumpkin pancakes recipe with us. So, tell me everything about this fall dessert in the comments section below. How was your final result? Did you have to use canned pumpkin puree or did you make your own? Have you encountered any problems? Share everything, we are all here to help you!
Furthermore, don’t forget that your input on everything I write about is extremely important. It really helps me know what you think about my work and how you would improve my recipes and ideas. So, keep on asking any questions in the comments section. I will make sure to respond as soon as possible!
Last but not least, if you want to find out more dessert recipes, try the next three! They are some of my favorite desserts for fall and the instructions are super easy!