Get all the comfort of chicken soup in casserole form. This Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole is easy to transport and serve to potlucks or a sick friend!
We all know that chicken noodle soup is the gold standard food for nursing a cold. It’s such a nice gesture to bring soup to a sick friend, but transporting a half gallon of broth (especially if it’s still hot!) without spilling it all over you car is definitely a challenge. Along those lines, have you ever tried bringing soup to a potluck? Not only is it hard to get it there, you have to have bowls and spoons, which can wreck a perfectly good food line setup.
Never fear. This chicken noodle soup casserole solves all those problems! This warm, comforting casserole has all the goodness of the soup you love but with less broth. Plus it has CHEESE on top, so it’s even better than the original. Can I get an amen?
I mentioned in yesterday’s Peanut Butter Fruit Dip post that my youngest was sick this weekend, and now I’ve got the cold. I’m using my usual “denial” treatment because I don’t have time to be sick, so I just pretend it’s not true. That works pretty well for me, and enjoying a couple bowls full of this chicken noodle soup casserole last night surely helped too. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go nurse my cold with some casserole leftovers for lunch. Enjoy the recipe!Print
- 12 oz. bite-sized pasta I used gluten-free pasta made with corn and rice
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 ribs celery chopped
- 4 oz. white mushrooms chopped
- 3/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 tbsp. flour use rice flour for gluten free
- 1 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 4–6 slices swiss cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook pasta the minimum amount of time listed in the package directions, and drain.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, chicken, salt, and poultry seasoning. Stir fry chicken and vegetables in butter until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are slightly tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in flour, and stir in 1/2 c. broth until smooth. Stir in the remaining broth, and bring to a low boil. Simmer a couple minutes longer until broth starts to thicken.
- Place pasta in prepared baking dish. Carefully pour chicken mixture evenly over the noodles. Gently stir to make sure there’s no dry pasta in the house. Place an even layer of swiss cheese over the top of the casserole, and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until cheese is evenly melted.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
You’ll also love these other casserole recipes: