Whether you need a quick dinner or have a couple hours to spare, my favorite Cabbage Roll Casserole is the recipe for you! You can make it in 30 minutes with white rice or low and slow with brown rice.
Some dinners are pretty, and some are fun. Some are less than glamorous but still wonderfully tasty. No one slaps high fives when they hear Cabbage Roll Casserole is for dinner, but this casserole smells amazing and tastes delicious!
I have made this with the slow cooking brown rice method and as a 30-minute meal. Both are equally good, but I think I would pick the brown rice version if I had time just because I like the texture a little better. You can’t go wrong either way.
I recently made this for two families from our older son’s school as a fundraiser. (They paid the school for casserole delivery, and I made their choice of casserole for dinner.) Both families loved it, and it reminded me how great this cabbage roll casserole is for potlucks. I doubled the recipe and gave it all away, so I can’t wait to make it again soon just for us!Print
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds optional
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked (use white rice if following 30-minute instructions)
- 14 ounces petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 12 ounces shredded cabbage bagged coleslaw mix with carrots and cabbage works great
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
Low and Slow Method
- In an oven-safe Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté beef and onions. Stir in oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and caraway seeds while cooking.
- When meat is cooked through and onions are tender, add garlic and rice, and sauté 3 minutes longer. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook at least one hour, or up to 2 hours.
- Stir in cabbage, and replace lid. (Mixture will seem very dry at this point, but the cabbage will release water as it cooks.) Simmer over very low heat about 10 minutes longer. Turn broiler to high.
- Remove lid and turn off heat. Sprinkle cheeses over the top of the cabbage mixture, and place the pot under broiler for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown. Enjoy!
- Using the beef broth as the cooking liquid, cook the white rice.
- While rice is cooking, sauté beef and onions in an oven-safe Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and caraway seeds while cooking.
- When meat is cooked through and onions are tender, add garlic, and sauté 3 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cabbage. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Turn broiler to high.
- When rice is done, stir it into cabbage mixture. Sprinkle cheeses over the top of the casserole, and place the pot under broiler for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown. Enjoy!
- Be sure to use white rice if you use the 30-minute method!
- Make sure you keep an eye on your casserole for the final broiler step. It can go from melty and bubbly to black and crisp FAST. (Don’t ask how I know.)
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Main
Here are more casserole recipes I think you will love!