This recipe is written as slow cooker lasagna, but it could just as easily be made in the oven. If you are home to get it started in the middle of the day and want it to be ready when you get home at dinner time, go with the slow cooker. If you are going to be home a couple hours before dinner time, throw it together and pop it in a 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. (You could even make it the day before and store it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it!) Whichever method you choose, you will love this easy, healthy lasagna recipe!Print
- 1 pound raw turkey Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 small onion diced
- 28 ounces prepared marinara sauce
- 15 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes drained
- 16 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups Italian blend shredded cheese divided
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 box lasagna noodles uncooked (I used multigrain noodles)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage and onions for 5-7 minutes, until onions are tender. Add marinara and drained diced tomatoes, and stir to combine.
In a medium bowl, stir together cottage cheese and 1 c. Italian shredded cheese.
Spray interior of slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread about 1 1/2 c. sausage mixture over the bottom of the crock. Top with a single layer of uncooked noodles, breaking them to fit. Spread about half of the cheese mixture over the noodles, and evenly place half of the spinach leaves over the cheese.
Repeat the sauce, noodle, cheese, spinach layer once more. Place a layer of noodles over the last layer of spinach, and pour the remaining sausage mixture evenly over the top.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for about 4 hours. If there is excess liquid at the end of cooking, use a ladle to carefully scoop the liquid off the top and discard.
Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining 1 c. Italian blend cheese over the top of the lasagna, and let stand for a few minutes until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!
- You can make this in the oven instead of the slow cooker. Just assemble the ingredients in a lasagna pan or other deep baking dish and bake, covered with aluminum foil, at 375 degrees F for 60 minutes, removing cover for the last 15 minutes of baking. If you use the oven method, it is very important to use No-Boil Lasagna noodles instead of regular uncooked noodles. Otherwise, the recipe is the same.
- Adapted from Slow Cooker Lasagna by Betty Crocker.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 240
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian