Your family will love you even more when you make them this Chili Dog Casserole topped with Cheese Fries!
Could your kids eat hot dogs for dinner 5 nights a week if you let them? Mine could! I try to limit their tube-shaped meat to a maximum of twice per week, but this Chili Dog Casserole might convince me to add an extra night of hot dog fun.
I know my kids aren’t the only ones who are hot dog lovers. A couple weeks ago I went to a Q&A session with the principal of our elementary school, and the topic came up of how long the kids have to eat at lunch. That’s when our principal, who has a doctoral degree in education, started talking about “hot dog day.” Apparently, when the school lunch is hot dogs, it is so popular, that a long line forms. The kids at the back of the line don’t have much time to eat their food because by the time they sit down, it’s almost recess time. I found it hilarious that a group of grown adults was gathered together to discuss challenges caused by hot dog popularity.
If your kids (or your spouse or YOU) are big hot dog fans too, then you will really love this recipe. At first glance, it looks like a guilty pleasure, but hold your horses because it’s really not that bad. There are vegetables in there. Plus, the hot dogs I use are preservative-free turkey dogs, which is about as healthy as a hot dog can get. Yes there are french fries on top, but I’m OK with that.
It only takes about 5 minutes to throw this casserole together, and then you can go on about your business while it bakes. Serve it with a simple side salad with Ranch dressing to load up on even more veggies, and this is a fun, kid-friendly dinner you can feel good about!Print
- 4 turkey dogs sliced into 1/4” rounds (use preservative-free hot dogs if possible)
- 15 ounces canned turkey chili
- 14.5 ounces canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes very well drained
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 12 ounces frozen shoestring French fries
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13” baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sliced hot dogs, chili, drained tomatoes, and carrots. Pour this mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Evenly arrange French fries in a single layer on top of hot dog mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over the French fries, and bake an additional 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Main
Want more family friendly casseroles? Here you go!