Today I’m bringing you a simple, cheesy Caprese Quinoa Casserole Recipe loaded with turkey, mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. You are going to love this healthy and easy dinner!
Last week I made one of our old favorites, salmon with bok choy over rice, except I didn’t have any rice. That’s one of those things I think we always have and forget to buy at the store. After panicking for a moment, I realized that we had quinoa, which was a perfectly good substitute. I love how it’s a whole grain like brown rice but only takes 20 minutes to cook!
Quinoa seems to go a long way because I made one cup dry like I usually do with rice, and we had a lot leftover. I
dug through the freezer brainstormed for ideas of what I could make with two cups of leftover quinoa, and this tasty Caprese casserole was the result. This would be a great make-ahead or freezer meal if you just add the topping ingredients before baking. We loved it for dinner and for lunch the next day too. I think this easy quinoa casserole recipe will be a hit at your house too!
Watch This How-To Recipe Video!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 8 ounces frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup white wine you can substitute chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan divided
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced or cubed (use 2% milk cheese to lighten it up)
- 4 Roma tomatoes sliced
- handful basil leaves sliced thin or minced (I used freeze-dried basil this time)
- If you don’t have leftover quinoa, cook 3/4 c. dry quinoa with 1 1/2 c. water according to package directions. Continue with the rest of the recipe while this cooks.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onion, salt, and red pepper flakes. Sauté and crumble meat until turkey is cooked through.
- Add garlic, spinach, and wine or broth. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Stir in cooked quinoa and 1/4 c. parmesan. Reduce heat to medium and cook until heated through.
- Transfer quinoa mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange slices or cubes of mozzarella over the top, and place tomato slices in an even layer over the cheese. Sprinkle basil over the tomatoes. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the tomatoes, and sprinkle remaining 1/4 c. parmesan over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Main Dish
I think you’ll also love these recipes…