Get ready to enjoy your favorite Mexican flavors the healthy way with this taco quinoa turkey skillet recipe, ready in about 30 minutes!
Did you grow up eating a lot of Mexican food at home? I remember going out to a Mexican restaurant called Cuco’s on the beach in Biloxi (sadly lost to Katrina) for special occasions like birthdays, and that was such a treat. I think we had tacos at home every once in a while, and that was about it! My mom cooked wonderful Southern dishes like red beans and rice, gumbo, and meatballs and gravy regularly plus American classics like pot roast, burgers, and sloppy joe’s. Mexican and Asian recipes weren’t really in the rotation.
I’m wondering if that was just our family or if times are changing. Now I cook a Mexican-inspired recipe at least once a week, and if you look at Pinterest, I’m not the only one in love with hispanic flavors. I could honestly eat Mexican food at least five nights a week and never get tired of it! If you are a Mexican food addict too, you are going to love this quick and healthy quinoa turkey skillet dinner!
Easy Taco Quinoa Turkey Skillet Recipe
This recipe is PACKED with protein and fiber thanks to turkey, quinoa, and beans, and it’s as delicious as it is good for you. We ate it on its own the first night, and I served it (to myself) over baby spinach like a taco salad for lunch the next two days. You could even stuff this into tortillas for burritos or tacos.
You could use pre-seasoned taco seasoned ground turkey and leave out the taco seasoning, which makes the recipe even easier. (Of course, you know I love things spicy, so I would still add some sriracha to my individual portion…) You can get this dinner on the table in about 30 minutes, which is my very favorite kind of recipe!Print
- 20 oz. ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or chili powder)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 15 ounces canned dark red kidney beans drained (you can substitute black or pinto beans if you prefer)
- 8.75 ounces canned whole kernel corn drained
- 15 ounces Rotel tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed and drained in a fine mesh strainer
- shredded Mexican-blend cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions (optional)
- Spray a large skillet or dutch oven with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add turkey and onion, and brown and crumble until meat is mostly cooked through. Stir in garlic, and cook two minutes longer.
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes, and water, and bring to a simmer. Stir in quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed. Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
If you use pre-seasoned ground turkey, you can leave out the taco seasoning. Also you can try our delicious ground turkey recipe.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican
Here are a few more recipes I know you’ll like: