This chicken noodle casserole has the flavor of chicken alfredo but feels more casual. It’s a perfect family dinner or potluck dish!
Hello there! Today I’m bringing you a scrumptious, comforting casserole recipe. I should take a minute to apologize to my regular readers for being a bit behind on new recipes lately. We have been building a house, and I’ve been pretty preoccupied with planning furniture and the move. I can’t really tell you how excited I am to move in later this month!
Our new house has a bigger kitchen than I’ve ever had before. We’re currently in an apartment with a very modest kitchen. I miss my gas stove! It took me a few weeks to get used to cooking on an electric stove, but I think I’ve got the hang of it now. What kind do you have at home?
You don’t need a big kitchen or fancy stove to make this chicken noodle casserole. You just need a stovetop, oven, deep skillet, and simple baking dish. If you are on a gluten-free diet like me, you can still make this recipe! Simply sub gluten-free flour and noodles if you need to. (That’s what I do!)
This dinner takes about 20 minutes of active cooking time, and then you can pop it in the oven for another 20 minutes or so while you go on about your business. It reheats well too for leftovers or if you want to make it ahead of time. I know this chicken pasta casserole will be a hit at your house. Be sure to pin it or save it on Facebook to remember it :)Print
- 12 oz uncooked wide egg noodles or bite-sized gluten free noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour gluten-free OK
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs gluten-free OK
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken, peas and carrots, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir fry until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour, and stir to coat the chicken. Add about 1/2 cup milk, and stir until smooth. Slowly pour in remaining milk, stirring constantly, to keep mixture smooth. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in cheese, and continue to simmer until all cheese is melted. Turn off heat. Stir in cooked pasta until combined well, and transfer to prepared baking dish.
- For the Topping
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave (or on the stove if you prefer). Stir breadcrumbs into the melted butter.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over the pasta in the baking dish, and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbly. Serve right away.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20