This Cheesy Baked Chicken Macaroni recipe is delicious, easy, and makes GREAT leftovers! I can’t wait for you to try it for dinner!
This scrumptious chicken noodle casserole recipe was submitted by a reader named Raymonde S. in Quebec, Canada. Ray created this easy, delicious casserole herself, and I absolutely love it! I’m so thankful that she allowed me to share it with all of you.
If you would like to submit YOUR recipe to be shared on The Weary Chef! If I select your recipe as a feature, I’ll send you $20 as a thank you.
I only made a couple small changes to Ray’s original recipe to use ingredients I had on hand. I substituted yellow mustard for dry mustard and dried herbs for fresh. I also added in diced celery since I had some in the fridge.
You could add in extra vegetables to this dish if you wanted to make it a one-pot meal. I served it with a side salad, and the whole family enjoyed every bite! This recipe makes a lot of food, so we had plenty of leftovers for lunches. It heats up really well, and I was sad when the last bite was gone. I can’t wait to make it again!
This chicken noodle bake is a cozy dinner for a cold night, but I wouldn’t know anything about cold weather now that I’m a Texan! It is still in the 90s here in September, but I love it so much here that I don’t mind. We’ve been in Austin for over a month now, and I’m enjoying every minute!
We are in North Austin, and I have the suburban life I’ve wanted for a long time. I know my husband misses the bustle and conveniences of city life, but I am so happy being in a quieter place. Every time I drive anywhere and see all the open space, trees, and gorgeous blue skies, I’m thankful that we moved here.
I hear it will get cold in Texas for a month or two in winter, so I’ll definitely be making this cozy chicken macaroni then. It’s worth turning on the oven for even in summer though. I can’t wait for you to try it!
This is my favorite kind of pot for this recipe:
- 12 ounces uncooked macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 4 ribs celery diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook and drain macaroni according to pasta directions. (Do this first, and you can do your chopping while it cooks.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a deep skillet or dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, celery, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in soups, tomato sauce, mustard.
- Stir in pasta and about 2/3 of the cheese.
- If your cooking pot is oven safe, you can cover it with the lid or foil and bake. If not, spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray, and transfer your chicken macaroni to that pan. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and spread remaining cheese over the top. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly brown
- You can use any combination you like of cream of mushroom, celery, and chicken soups.
- Unless you choose low-sodium soups, you may not need any additional salt.
- To make this gluten free, simply choose gluten-free pasta and look for Pacific brand cream soups.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45