These soft cake mix cookies with a simple cinnamon glaze are made with no butter or oil!
How are you feeling now that the holidays are over? Are you happy to put away all the decorations and move on, or are you sad that you are eleven months away from saying “Happy Holidays!” again? I’m happy to reclaim the space that has been occupied by our Christmas tree, but I’m mostly sad that it’s over. The Halloween-Thanksgiving-Christmas combo is my favorite time of year, but I know it will be here again before I know it.
For now, I’ll march forward to Valentine’s Day, another fun holiday. If you are feeling a little glum that it’s January, you know what will make you feel better? Cookies! (Especially super easy, low-fat cookies.) My blogging buddy from Tina’s Chic Corner recently shared Cake Mix Dark Chocolate Cookies that look delicious. I found myself with two very ripe bananas and wanted to get in on the cake mix fun too, so I came up with these Banana Spice Cake Mix Cookies.
At first I planned to just make these 3-ingredient cookies and call it a day, but I have to admit they were a tad plain on their own. I whipped up this simple cinnamon glaze to dress them up a bit, and then they were a recipe to remember! This glaze hardens perfectly in under an hour, and you probably have all the ingredients on hand right now. We all loved these tender, soft cookies, and I hope you will too!
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 16.5 ounce spice cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. warm water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together mashed bananas, cake mix, eggs, and flour until smooth. Dough will be very soft.
- Scoop dough with a medium disher or heaping tablespoon onto baking sheets lined with silicone mats or parchment paper. Space cookies at least 1 1/2″ apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 13 minutes or until just starting to brown around the edges. Remove and allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before carefully transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cookies are cooled, you can prepare the glaze. (It firms up quickly, so don’t make it until you are ready to use it.) Vigorously stir together sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and water until glaze is spreadable. (You can add additional sugar or water about 1 tsp. at a time if you find the glaze to be too thick or thin.)
- Use a silicone brush to lightly brush about 2 tsp. glaze over the top of each cookie. If you do not have a brush, you can drop glaze on top of each cookie and spread with the back of a spoon. (I do this step with wax paper under the wire rack to make cleanup easy.)
- Allow cookies to stand for 30-60 minutes to allow glaze to harden. To store, place parchment paper between stacked cookies to avoid sticking. Best eaten within 2-3 days.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
Here are a few tools I love for this recipe:
(These are affiliate links, so I make a small commission on any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting The Weary Chef!)
Want more cake mix cookie recipes? You have to check out this list!