This backed chicken burrito recipe is super easy to make at home in less than 30 minutes. Also, you don’t have to worry that the creamy chicken filling will fall out from your burrito. The filling is sticky and cheesy and I will give you some tips and tricks for folding your burrito too. So, you just have to go shopping for some simple and affordable ingredients and follow the simple step-by-step recipe.
How to Fold a Burrito
When I first made burritos for my loved ones it was a pure disaster! We ended up eating the filling with spoons and the wrappers on their own. Yes, it was delicious, but I was super grateful that the guests we’d expected at that time weren’t able to arrive. The shame would’ve been too much to handle!
So, because I love you too much to let you experience the same awful feeling, here are the steps for folding a burrito like a pro:
- You should keep in mind to warm up the tortillas first! This will make the tortilla more pliable and less probable to crack while folding.
- Next, to maximize the size of your burrito you can put your filling in the center. Even though placing your fillings just below the center can create a better fit (this is how I usually fold them) but will limit how much you can put in the burrito.
- Then, pull up the sides of the tortilla and hold them in place using your fingers.
- Now, using your fingers, hold the sides in place while grabbing the bottom of the tortilla with your thumbs. Fold it over the filling.
- Finally, tuck the tortilla in tight around the chicken filling and roll it up.
How to Make Chicken Burritos with Rice at Home
Juicy, cheesy, flavor-loaded chicken filling for the best-wrapped burritos made at home. This chicken burrito recipe is super easy to follow and the ingredients are more than affordable, you’ll see.
Ingredient List for Simple Chicken Burrito Recipe
First of all, is essential to know that even though the ingredient list is rather long, the instructions are more than manageable. Don’t get discouraged by the so-called complexity of the list below because you’ll see how easy to get the products actually are. Not to mention that a big part of them are seasonings.
- 5 tortillas;
- 2.5 cups cooked white rice (the best rice for burritos in Mexican red rice);
- 14 oz canned corn;
- 1.5 cups preferred cheese (shredded);
- 1.2 lb chicken breast;
- 1 small onion (chopped);
- 2 garlic cloves (minced);
- 1 medium bell pepper (diced);
- 14 oz red beans (canned);
- 1/4 cup water;
- 2 tablespoon olive oil.
Seasonings for Burritos
- 1 teaspoon onion powder;
- 1 teaspoon salt;
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano;
- 1 teaspoon black pepper;
- 2 teaspoon coriander;
- 2 teaspoon paprika;
- your favorite burrito sauce (for dipping).
Easy Step-by-Step Chicken Burrito Recipe
Now, that you know exactly what you need for the chicken burrito recipe, here are the steps you should follow. I strongly believe that the hard part is assuring you have all the ingredients, as the steps are more than easy! However, don’t take my word, try making them yourself!
Make the Burrito Filling
- Mix seasoning ingredients, drizzle 1 tbsp oil over the chicken breast, and mix to coat.
- Next, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken, and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Remove, let it rest for 2 minutes, then chop.
- In the same skillet, add onion and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Also, add the canned beans, diced chicken, and water. Stir and cook for 10 minutes until reduces slightly. Keep in mind that the mixture should be thick and juicy, not watery or not dry! Let it cool for 5 minutes.
Assemble the Chicken Burritos
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave or in a skillet on the stovetop for several seconds and lay the on the work surface (a large wood board is perfect).
- Place the cooked rice on the lower third and top with chicken filling.
- Next, just add the preferred amount of corn and cheese, and sprinkle with coriander.
- Finally, for heating the burritos you have two options: either pan fry over medium-high heat (no oil) for 2 minutes on each side OR wrap tightly in foil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 350°F. Heating the chicken burritos makes tortillas crispy and melts the cheese for extra pleasure.
Video Chicken Burrito Recipe
Finally, here is the video recipe to help you even more to prepare these juicy and cheesy chicken burritos.
Enjoy Your Mexican Burritos!
One creamy chicken burrito recipe coming your way, Hons! Finally, this is it: my cheesy burritos perfect for any dinner night with your loved ones. The creaminess and flavors of this recipe will impress any burrito lover or hungry little monster. Let’s be honest: who doesn’t crave hot and juicy burritos once and a while?!
That being said, now it’s your turn to share with all of us your experience with this Mexican recipe. Tell us everything: Did you succeed to fold the burritos? Did your kids enjoy them? (Also, keep in mind that I appreciate the negative feedback too). Did you need to improvise when it came to the ingredients list? If so, what did you replace, and with what? In addition, please, don’t hesitate to ask any further questions in the comment section too. I am here for you!
Last but not least, I will leave you with some extra reading. These three Mexican recipes are the best! Whenever you plan a Mexican traditional dinner, these three favorites of mine will have your back. However, don’t wait for a festive meal to prepare them – give them a try right away!