Thanks to QVC for sponsoring this post featuring “skinny” Cornflake Chicken Tenders! You’re going to love this chicken breaded in crispy cornflakes and baked in the oven!
I’ve always been a bit of a scaredy cat, especially at night. When I lived alone in college or when Matt used to travel for work, I hated to be home alone. I always turned on QVC because it felt like I had someone there with me! When you watch enough QVC, you start to feel like the hosts are your friends. David Venable has always been my favorite because his warm, fun personality is irresistible.
Imagine how excited I was to have the opportunity to test a recipe from David’s new cookbook: Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook. This beautiful cookbook features comfort food at its best with irresistible recipes like Banana-Peanut Butter French Toast, Sunday Pot Roast, Smoked Brisket, Five-Cheese Fifteen-Minute Mac’ n’ Cheese, and Mimi’s Blackberry Cobbler.
You know I love comfort food, but I don’t like to feel too guilty about what I eat. That’s why I was especially drawn to David’s Light and Bright chapter. It’s still full of flavorful, satisfying dishes, but they are lightened up a bit. Take this Skinny Fried Chicken for example. It is juicy on the inside and perfectly crisp on the outside but is very low in fat! Tender chicken is marinated in buttermilk and coated in a spiced cornflake mixture. Bake it on a wire rack, and you are on your way to wonderful “fried” chicken that never touched any oil!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded to 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups cornflake crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Rinse the chicken breasts in cold water, then place them in a resealable plastic bag with the buttermilk and hot sauce. Close the bag, shake until the chicken pieces are fully coated, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a wire rack with vegetable oil spray and place it in a roasting pan or on a baking sheet.
- Place the flour on a plate. Mix the cornflake crumbs, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and poultry seasoning in a bowl until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the bag and place them on a plate. Pour the marinade into a medium bowl. Dredge each breast with the flour until fully coated, shaking off any excess. Then coat the chicken in the marinade, followed by a dredging in the cornflake mixture.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on the prepared wire rack. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake until cooked through and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 180
- Cook Time: 30
David shares stories and anecdotes about his life, family, and childhood along with the recipes, making this book a great read. The recipes are easy to follow and include many beautiful photos to inspire you. Back Around the Table would make a perfect holiday gift for your friends and family who love to cook. You might want to pair it with a pressure cooker because his Quick and Easy chapter is specifically written for pressure cookers. You know I love quick and easy, but I don’t actually have one of those. Now I know what to put on my Christmas list!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of QVC. The opinions and text are all mine.