These Easy Scalloped Potatoes have only five ingredients and go straight into the oven with no stovetop prep! This recipe uses pepper jack cheese for a slightly spicy cheese sauce, but you could easily substitute your favorite cheese to make it mild. I’m sure you will love it either way!
Oh, hey there everyone! My name is Michelle, and I’m the blogger over at Blackberry Babe, where I share easy and delicious recipes. I’m a working mom, and simple is the name of the game for me. Since it’s almost grilling season (yay!), I’m starting to focus on my absolute favorite recipes, side dishes! I love myself some easy, cheesy, delicious sides to go with a nice grilled burger or pork chop! Some of my favorites are my tried and true Vinegar Based Coleslaw and Cream Cheese Corn Casserole with Green Chiles. Last week, I made these Easy Pepper Jack Scalloped Potatoes, and I was sold. Will these be one of this year’s best recipes for grilling season? I think so!
One of the things I like to focus on is the elimination of steps in recipes. If you can shave even just 5 or 10 minutes off most recipes, they become much more achievable for weeknight meals. I typically have a 45 minute window to make dinner each night, so every second counts! These easy and cheesy potatoes are on your table in about 45 minutes, but after the first 10 minutes of prep work they are hands off, which allows you to move on to something else (or just watch Netflix, whatever). The sauce is made entirely in the baking dish, so you don’t have to whip out your sauce pan and make the sauce before adding it to the dish. This is a one pan side dish, so you only have one pan to clean up afterwards!
I used red potatoes for this dish and left the skins on. This is entirely up to you, but I like to leave the skin on for two reasons: Nutrition and time. Most of a potato’s nutrients are found in its skin, and peeling those little buggers takes FOREVER! So, do what you will, but I say there’s no shame in leaving the potato skin on for this recipe. To speed the baking time, I parcook the potatoes in the microwave before slicing them and layering them in the baking dish with cheese, cream and salt and pepper. So easy! Just pop them in the oven, and watch them get all cheesy and gooey.
I hope that you enjoy these easy scalloped potatoes with some delicious barbecue soon! Until next time…Print
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Place potatoes in microwave for 4-5 minutes to cook partially through. Remove from microwave and carefully cut into thin, round slices. You may want to wear an oven mitt on the hand steadying the potatoes.
- Place half of the potato slices in a greased 9×9” pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then layer in half of the pepper jack, parmesan, and heavy cream.
- Repeat with the second layer of potatoes, salt and pepper, pepper jack, parmesan and cream.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil, and place in oven to bake for about 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes to allow light browning. Remove pan from oven, and allow to rest for several minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
More recipes you’ll love!