These cajun seasoned crinkle cut fries can be such a family-friendly side dish or snack. Clearly, the easiest method for the best-tasting wavy fries that guarantee absolute crispiness and bold cajun flavor. Not to mention that all the ingredients are dairy-free and vegan.
Have you ever prepared crinkle cut potatoes at home? They are super easy to make and much healthier than the store-bought ones, which are usually pre-fried. This homemade version of fast-food bestseller fries might just be my family’s new favorite snack.
Crinkle Cut Potatoes FAQ
- What is the point of crinkle-cut fries? – The main benefit of crinkle-cut fries is that they have a bigger surface area which leads to a crispier texture, so more place for salt and dips to stick.
- What knife is used for crinkle-cut potatoes? – The crinkle cutter should have a versatile and sharp blade that’s excellent for wave-cutting potatoes into french fries, vegetables like carrots and zucchini, or just trimming the edges of homemade ravioli.
- Why are crinkle fries so good? – One insane benefit of crinkle-cut fries is the crispy texture. So, as mentioned before, because of those grooves and cuts, there’s more surface area on the fry. So when we fry the potatoes, they go crunchier and crispier than most of the fries out there. Also, that crunchy texture sticks for a longer time.
- How do you make crinkle-cut chips in the oven? – Preheat the oven to 220°C/210°C. Then, spread a single layer of potato slices onto a baking tray and pop it into the top of the oven. Bake them for 24 – 26 minutes, turning them, until they are crispy and lightly golden.
- Why do you soak potatoes in cold water before frying? – Soaking potatoes in water helps remove excess starch. Excess starch can inhibit the potatoes from cooking evenly as well as create a gummy texture on the outside. Also, keep in mind that hot water would react with the starch activating it, and making it harder to separate from the potatoes.
How to Make Crinkle Cut Potatoes at Home?
Make this vegan, dairy-free snack with bold cajun flavors in no time! The crinkle cut potatoes are super crispy and will please every hungry guest. Who doesn’t love fries after all? These homemade crinkle-cut fries are well-seasoned and easy to make in less than 30 minutes.
As always, you can find the full recipe in the box below but I want to give you an overview of the needed ingredients and basic steps with step-by-step photos first.
Here is the simple ingredient list for your next favorite fries recipe!
- 1 pound russet potatoes (about 3 medium potatoes);
- Canola oil (for frying);
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika;
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt;
- 1 teaspoon black pepper;
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper;
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano;
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme;
- 1 teaspoon onion powder;
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
Step-by-Step Recipe for Crinkle Cut Fries
First of all, it’s important to know that for crinkle-cut fries, you just have to simply slice potatoes vertically with a crinkle cutter, also called a wavy chopper or serrated slicer. Also, for waffle fries, after making one vertical slice, rotate the potato 90°, and make another vertical slice. However, if you want to rock these wavy fries, follow the recipe below. You’ll learn how to season them in order to also give you a bold cajun kick, not only a fun texture!
- Rinse each potato and, using a crinkle cutter, slice them. Slice potatoes ¼ inch thick.
- Next, place potato slices in a large bowl of cold water and let them stand for 15 minutes. Drain well, and pat dry.
- In a large Dutch oven if possible (a wide pot that is relatively shallow and fitted with a tight lid to retain heat), pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium-high heat (until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325°.
- In the meantime, line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.
- Working in batches, fry the potatoes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Let drain on paper towels and serve immediately with your favorite dips.
Easy Video Recipe for Homemade Crinkle Cut Potatoes
I also prepared a video for this crinkle cut potatoes recipe as I find it the best way to learn how to prepare it. The steps are quite simple and the ingredients are more than affordable, as you most probably already get used to. So, a video tutorial is your most suitable helper. Just watch the steps and instructions here and you’ll convince yourself that this is one of the best ways to serve some flavored snacks!
Enjoy Your Weavy Fries!
Lastly, this is it, my loves: one of my favorite snack recipes! Why? Because of the flavors and the crispiest texture I’ve ever found when it came to fries. All my loved ones just adore the crinkle cut potatoes as much as I love to prepare them with the easiest instructions. In addition, as you could already notice, it is one of the most versatile recipes I know. You can add all sorts of extra herbs and flavors when it comes to seasonings and transform the main recipe into one that suits your own taste.
In addition, don’t forget that your input on everything I write about is extremely valuable. It really helps me know what you think about my work and how you would improve my recipes and ideas. So, keep on asking any questions in the comments section. I will make sure to respond as soon as possible! Furthermore, feel free to share your experience with the crinkle cut potatoes recipe and all your advice on it. I am always super excited to hear from my beloved readers!Print
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Last but not least, please feel free to pair these crispy fries with one of the next three dips I adore so much: