This cake is wonderfully moist and a great way to use some seasonal apples. Traditionally this style of apple cake contains rum, but you can always use milk instead. Pick your favorite way of preparing the French apple cake and just toss it in the oven. It’s one easy and quick dessert to impress your loved ones at the Thanksgiving table!
French Apple Cake TIPS & TRICKS
- If you want your French apple cake to be the most fluffy and tender, serve it freshly baked, at room temperature. Serving it warm will highlight the moist aspect of the cake and the apples will be much soggier than when it gets cold.
- If you made the cake a day before and it seems a little dry, try serving it with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- If you want your French apple cake to look more appetizing, top it with sugar icing and decorate it with some caramelized apple slices. This will transform it into such an elegant and fancy dessert.
- The secret to an amazingly delicious French apple cake is to use a variety of apples for a mix of textures and flavors. You want your cake to be sweet, tart, crispy, and still moist. So, you should try mixing Honeycrisp and Granny Smith for a tart cake. Also, for a sweeter experience, go with Gala or Fuji apples.
- In addition, an easy trick to check if your apple cake is baked is using a toothpick. You should insert a toothpick or paring knife into the center of the cake to see if the crumb has set. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done; if it comes out gummy or with crumbs clinging to it, the cake needs more time in the oven.
Easy French Apple Cake Recipe
Now, that you find out some essential tips and tricks, it’s time to rock this French recipe! Believe me, the instructions are easy to follow and the ingredients are more than affordable.
What You Need to Make the French Apple Cake
These are the ingredients you need to make the apple cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour;
- 1 teaspoon baking powder;
- ¼ teaspoon salt;
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature;
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar;
- 2 large eggs;
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- 3 tablespoons dark rum;
- 2 baking apples, peeled, cored and cut;
- granulated sugar and minced nuts, for decorating the cake (optional);
- powder sugar, for decorating the cake (optional).
Now, here are the steps you should follow in order to rock this French dessert:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a regular cake pan with butte or use some baking paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Next, add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and rum.
- Then, add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until the mixture looks combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, add the chopped apples.
- Scrape the batter with apples into the prepared baking pan and even the top. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and the minced nuts (if you used any).
- Bake it for about 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Finally, after letting it cool to room temperature, using a fine sieve, dust with powder’ sugar (if using any).
French Apple Cake Video Recipe
I just couldn’t find the time to make a video recipe for this gorgeous French apple cake! It’s just too easy to make and also impressively good-looking…don’t you think? I even add some instructions in the video, so you can just read the ingredient list and go straight to the video recipe.
However, if you don’t have too much experience in baking, I strongly advice you to also read the instructions. It’s no shame in being sure about what you need to do.
How to Store the Apple Cake
This French apple cake recipe is loaded with fresh apples, so you’ll want to keep it in the fridge or it will, unfortunately, go bad quickly. In the refrigerator, this fresh apple cake should last up to 4-5 days.
Also, if you want to serve your apple cake whit icing or powder sugar on top, I strongly recommend adding them only before serving. In this way, you’ll be able to wrap your apple cake with plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container. Finally, put it in the refrigerator and consume it within 5 days.
Enjoy Your Thanksgiving Dessert!
Finally, it’s time for you to share your experience with the French apple cake with us. So, tell me everything about the recipe in the comments section below. How was your final result? Did you make a moist and light apple cake? Have you encountered any problems? Share everything, we are all here to help you!
In addition, I really wanted to let you know that I’m here for all your further questions about the French apple cake recipe, the kitchen in general, and everything else I can help with. Just let me know what are your curiosities and dilemmas in the comment section below. I always make time to take a look to that section and answer all my loves’ questions.
Last but not least, if you are eager to find out more impressive dessert ideas you can enjoy at home this Thanksgiving, give these favorites of mine a closer look: