- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 slices bacon
- 10 ounces kale washed and chopped (I usually use bagged, pre-cut kale.)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar (not seasoned rice vinegar)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In your crock pot, stir together chicken broth, tomato paste, soup mix, and garlic powder. Add barley, sweet potatoes, carrots, chicken, and bacon.
- Add chopped kale, and pour in water. Try to push the kale down to be mostly covered with water, but it will shrink down as it cooks. Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours. (See note for recommendations for longer cooking times.)
- Before serving, remove bacon slices and discard. Remove chicken breasts and shred meat with two forks.
- Return shredded chicken to slow cooker. Add vinegar, and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking, and serve with hot sauce for added heat if desired.
If you want to cook this stew for 8-10 hours, I recommend using 1 1/2 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. (Remove the skin and bones when you shred the meat.)
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 360