- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage I use turkey sausage.
- 6 ounces bag fresh baby spinach
- 14 ounces canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic drained
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese diced into 1/2” cubes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix I used gluten-free mix.
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch deep dish or 12″ shallow pie pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Spray a 12″ skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and sausage, and saute, crumbling meat as it cooks, until sausage is mostly cooked through.
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in half of the spinach, and cook until wilted. Stir in remaining spinach and drained tomatoes. Gently stir and cook until spinach is all wilted.
Drain sausage and spinach mixture well, and then pour into pie pain. Spread cubed mozzarella over the top, and gently press cheese into the meat.
Stir together egg, milk, biscuit mix, and Italian seasoning. Spread dough over the top of the sausage and cheese. (Note: This dough is a good amount for a 9″ dish but doesn’t completely cover the 12″ dish as shown here. You can double the egg, milk, and biscuit mix if you are using a large pan and would like more coverage.)
Sprinkle parmesan over the top, and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until top is brown and cheese is melted. Allow to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian