- 2 pounds flank steak cut across the grain into 1″ x 2″ strips
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger crushed or minced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed or minced (or substitute 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 carrots grated or sliced thin
- 2 bell peppers sliced into short strips (I used red and yellow for color)
- 2 zucchini sliced into bite-sized pieces
- small bunch green onions sliced thin, some reserved for garnish
- cooked rice
In a large bowl, toss steak strips with cornstarch to coat. (Don’t use a small bowl or you will live to regret it when your kitchen is sprinkled with cornstarch. Don’t ask me how I know.)
Place meat in slow cooker turned to low. Rinse out the cornstarch bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic. Whisk together and pour over meat in slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours (or up to 8 if necessary).
At least a half hour before dinnertime, stir in carrots, bell pepper, green onions, and zucchini. Continue cooking on low while you prepare the rice.
To serve, place a portion of rice in bowl and top with beef and veggies. Chopsticks are optional but encouraged.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 360
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Asian