- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 19.5 oz. raw hot turkey sausage casings removed (I used Jennie-O brand)
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 c. penne pasta I used corn pasta to make it gluten free
- 2 oz. cream cheese reduced fat is fine
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. grape tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
- 4 green onions sliced
Add olive oil to a 12″ skillet or dutch oven, and heat over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, salt, garlic, and sausage. Saute 10 minutes, crumbling meat as it cooks. (You can drain meat and vegetables here if you’d like. You’ll reduce the fat but also lose some flavor.)
Add chicken broth, water, cayenne, and pasta. Bring to a low boil, and cook for the suggested cooking time on the pasta package, stirring often.
Reduce heat to medium, and stir in cream cheese and parmesan. Stir frequently until melted.
Turn off heat, and add tomatoes and green onions. Allow to stand 5-10 minutes before serving to allow sauce to thicken.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main