I don’t mean to be dramatic, but I can hardly wait to tell you about these Pesto Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
I mentioned on Facebook the other day that I had to eat dessert for lunch so I could take photos in the daylight. Today, I had to make one of these pesto pizza grilled cheese sandwiches for myself for lunch for the same reason. Then, I made them again for dinner. Even when I was on my second sandwich for the day, I was sad when the last bite was over.
These savory sandwiches are so, so simple to put together, but they are flavorful, cheesy, and wonderful. Seriously. I chose to bake them in the oven instead of cooking them in a pan like a traditional grilled cheese sandwich. Since they are already full of pesto, cheese, and pepperoni, I didn’t want to cook them in oil or butter. They toast up beautifully, and baking them makes them an even easier dinner idea since there’s not much cleanup! This may be my new favorite recipe, so I hope you get a chance to try it soon!
- 8 slices sourdough
- ⅓ c. pesto
- 3 oz. pepperoni
- 4 Roma or Campari tomatoes, sliced
- 10 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- For each sandwich, spread pesto on both slices of bread, and place a slice of cheese on each slice. Evenly arrange pepperoni over the cheese on one slice of bread and tomato slices over the other.
- Place ½ slice of cheese over the pepperoni, and place open sandwiches directly on the oven rack in the preheated oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Carefully remove sandwiches from the oven, put the sides together, slice in half, and serve.
Want more cheesy pesto goodness? I’ve got just the thing!