If you are in the mood for a burger but want to try something a little out of the ordinary, these Gyros Burgers are perfect!
Do you know much about Greek food? I sure don’t, but I like meat and spicy yogurt sauce, so gyros sandwiches are my kind of food. I don’t happen to have a giant hunk of meat or tall vertical spit available in my kitchen, so these Gyros Burgers are about as close as I’m going to get at home. The Greek yogurt sauce is cool yet spicy, and the pita pocket makes it easy to eat. You could serve these burgers with Oven Fries, but try substituting Greek seasoning for the Cajun seasoning.
Adapted from “Gyros” in Betty Crocker’s New Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook (affiliate link).Print
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce or to taste (this amount makes a fairly spicy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin divided
- 1/2 cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic crushed (or substitute 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- freshly ground pepper
- mixed baby greens or shredded lettuce
- 4 round pita pockets
- Stir together yogurt, garlic powder, dried dill, Sriracha, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. cumin. Add cucumber and tomato, and stir gently to combine. Set aside.
- Stir together ground beef, 3/4 tsp. salt, 3/4 tsp. cumin, juice of 1/2 lemon, oregano, garlic, onions, and a few grinds of black pepper. Form meat into four thin patties.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high. Cook burgers approximately 5 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Cut each pita in half and carefully separate the center of the layers to form a pocket. (Leave edges attached.) Place about 1/2 c. of lettuce and 1/4 c. yogurt mixture into each pocket.
- Slice burger patties in half, and slide a half patty into each prepared pita pocket. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Greek
Don’t you just love burgers? Me too! Check out these tasty recipes too!