This asparagus stuffed chicken is well worth the minimal effort. Great for guests but easy enough for a weeknight dinner!
Hello again, Weary Chef readers! I’m so happy to be back today to present a recipe that I planned to post over the summer. Of course, things never go as planned. How is it already mid September??
We love asparagus, and when it comes in season, you can guarantee our house is full of it! Definitely feels like asparagus season was a short window this year, but we tried to get in as many meals as possible. These asparagus mushroom chicken roll ups went over really well! My daughter loves chicken and asparagus, so this meal just made sense! Now that she is in school I feel this would be a perfect, healthy lunch option.
This asparagus stuffed chicken recipe is easily customized to fit your family. (I would be leaving the onions out if my dad was over for dinner!) This meal should work out every time as long as you pound the chicken until it is quite thin and easy to roll. Also, make sure the asparagus you choose is very thin, as we are not pre-cooking it. If you can only find thick asparagus, that is okay, just boil it a bit first and then blanch in ice cold water (to stop it from cooking further.)
If you can’t find fresh asparagus when you want to try this recipe, you could try substituting another vegetable like thin green beans, bell pepper strips, or broccolini. Make it your own to suit your family’s tastes and what is available, and leave me a comment letting me know how you liked it!
- 2 pounds chicken breasts butterfly cut and pounded flat
- 1 pound thin asparagus trimmed
- 6 ounces button mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound onions sliced thin
- 1/2 pound tomatoes sliced (about 3 large)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon coarse whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Layer the tomatoes into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan. Season with salt and pepper. Top with onions.
- Equally divide the asparagus, mushrooms, and red peppers between the chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Carefully roll up the chicken and secure with toothpicks. Place on top of the onions. Season again.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and pour over top of the chicken and veggie mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, basting halfway through. Juices of chicken should run clear and reach an internal temperature of 160 F (if not, continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes.)
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
Tools you’ll need for this recipe (affiliate links):