Make a hearty pot of Bisquick Chicken and Dumplings for dinner tonight. Your family will thank you!
When you think of Southern comfort food, this is sure to be one of dishes that comes to mind. Chicken and dumplings is one of the first recipes I learned from my mom. She taught me to make it with canned biscuits, which is a great shortcut. I made it her way a lot in college and when we were newlyweds, but for some reason I forgot about this family favorite for a while.
I’m so glad to bring it back, and the rest of the family is happy too! Everyone loves a hot bowl of dumplings, chicken, and vegetables smothered in a thick and creamy broth.
This easy chicken and dumplings recipe is flexible on cooking ahead and keeping warm or getting ready in 45 minutes, with only about 15 minutes of active cooking. I love this warm, comforting dish for dinner at home on a cold day, or it’s great to take to potlucks.
You can substitute canned biscuits for the Bisquick dumplings. If you do, I get the best results with the least expensive cans of biscuits, usually smaller cans sold in a 4-pack. If you prefer, serve with peas and/or carrots on the side, but I like making it a one-dish meal.Print
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2–1/4 cups baking mix like Bisquick or Jiffy
- 2/3 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, add chicken broth, carrots, and chicken breasts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- While carrots and chicken simmer, stir together baking mix and milk until dough forms.
- Remove chicken from broth and set aside. Add frozen peas to pot and return to boil. Tear off grape-sized balls of dough and drop into boiling broth (or roll and cut dough into uniform dumplings if you prefer). Stir as needed to ensure dumplings are submerged.
- Shred chicken with two forks and stir into broth with dumplings. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes more.
You can substitute canned biscuit dough for the baking mix dumplings if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Dinner, Poultry, Soups
- Cuisine: Southern