Dig into a cheesy, easy Mexican dinner with this Spicy Spinach Quesadilla Recipe!
Have you ever noticed that your teeth feel funny when you eat spinach, especially if it’s paired with dairy? I thought it was just me, but I brought it up at dinner one night; Matt said he felt it too. This of course made me do some research, and I found out that spinach contains oxalic acid, which forms little crystals on your teeth. The addition of calcium from dairy enhances the effect, so dishes like spinach salad with goat cheese have me running for my toothbrush after dinner.
From what I read, it seems like the oxalic acid is broken down during cooking, so I tried to use that to my advantage in these spicy spinach quesadillas. With one quick step of pre-cooking and rinsing the spinach, I seemed to wash away the crystal-creating acid. (I’m sure I also washed away some vitamins, but you can’t cook your spinach and eat the vitamins too.)
These cheesy, dreamy, spicy spinach quesadillas are full of flavor, and we didn’t notice chalky teeth at all. If you want a mild version, just use monterey jack cheese and mild salsa instead. Serve with authentic margaritas if you please. Cheers!
I think you’ll also like these recipes:
- Mexican Coleslaw in 5 Minutes - July 26, 2016
- Oven Taquitos with Sriracha Salmon - July 26, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #183 – Hawaiian Pasta Salad, Cheeseburger Macaroni, and More! - July 23, 2016
- Hawaiian Pasta Salad - July 21, 2016
- 25 Blueberry Recipes You Will Love! - July 18, 2016
- Meatloaf, BBQ Quesadillas, and More! – Dinner Menu #182 - July 16, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #181: Mango Salad, Ham Pasta, and More! - July 8, 2016
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta - July 7, 2016
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats - July 6, 2016
- Summer Dinner Recipes: Weekly Dinner Menu #180 - July 2, 2016