Dig into a cheesy, easy Mexican dinner with this Spicy Spinach Quesadilla Recipe!
Have you ever noticed that your teeth feel funny when you eat spinach, especially if it’s paired with dairy? I thought it was just me, but I brought it up at dinner one night; Matt said he felt it too. This of course made me do some research, and I found out that spinach contains oxalic acid, which forms little crystals on your teeth. The addition of calcium from dairy enhances the effect, so dishes like spinach salad with goat cheese have me running for my toothbrush after dinner.
From what I read, it seems like the oxalic acid is broken down during cooking, so I tried to use that to my advantage in these spicy spinach quesadillas. With one quick step of pre-cooking and rinsing the spinach, I seemed to wash away the crystal-creating acid. (I’m sure I also washed away some vitamins, but you can’t cook your spinach and eat the vitamins too.)
These cheesy, dreamy, spicy spinach quesadillas are full of flavor, and we didn’t notice chalky teeth at all. If you want a mild version, just use monterey jack cheese and mild salsa instead. Serve with authentic margaritas if you please. Cheers!
I think you’ll also like these recipes:
- What’s For Dinner? Check out this week’s meal plan! - September 23, 2016
- Fall Potluck Casserole with Turkey and Squash - September 21, 2016
- Cheesy Chili Pasta Bake in 30 Minutes - September 15, 2016
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Artichokes - September 11, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #190: Casseroles, Burgers, and More - September 10, 2016
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread - September 9, 2016
- Teriyaki Tilapia Casserole - September 7, 2016
- Easy Cheeseburger Boats - September 6, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #189: Welcoming September - September 3, 2016
- Pork and Greens Stir Fry - August 31, 2016