Dig into a cheesy, easy Mexican dinner with this Spicy Spinach Quesadilla Recipe!
Have you ever noticed that your teeth feel funny when you eat spinach, especially if it’s paired with dairy? I thought it was just me, but I brought it up at dinner one night; Matt said he felt it too. This of course made me do some research, and I found out that spinach contains oxalic acid, which forms little crystals on your teeth. The addition of calcium from dairy enhances the effect, so dishes like spinach salad with goat cheese have me running for my toothbrush after dinner.
From what I read, it seems like the oxalic acid is broken down during cooking, so I tried to use that to my advantage in these spicy spinach quesadillas. With one quick step of pre-cooking and rinsing the spinach, I seemed to wash away the crystal-creating acid. (I’m sure I also washed away some vitamins, but you can’t cook your spinach and eat the vitamins too.)
These cheesy, dreamy, spicy spinach quesadillas are full of flavor, and we didn’t notice chalky teeth at all. If you want a mild version, just use monterey jack cheese and mild salsa instead. Serve with authentic margaritas if you please. Cheers!
I think you’ll also like these recipes:
- One Pot Black Eyed Peas and Rice with Chicken - August 23, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #187: Sneaking in Veggies - August 20, 2016
- Perfect Mexican Rice - August 19, 2016
- Quick Hasselback Potatoes - August 15, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #186: Back to School Dinners - August 13, 2016
- 20 Strawberry Recipes You Don’t Want to Miss! - August 10, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #185: Trying (again) to get healthy. - August 6, 2016
- Waldorf Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps - August 2, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #184: Slow Cooker Roast, Taquitos, Salad, and More! - July 31, 2016
- Mexican Coleslaw in 5 Minutes - July 26, 2016