Dig into a cheesy, easy Mexican dinner with this Spicy Spinach Quesadilla Recipe!
Have you ever noticed that your teeth feel funny when you eat spinach, especially if it’s paired with dairy? I thought it was just me, but I brought it up at dinner one night; Matt said he felt it too. This of course made me do some research, and I found out that spinach contains oxalic acid, which forms little crystals on your teeth. The addition of calcium from dairy enhances the effect, so dishes like spinach salad with goat cheese have me running for my toothbrush after dinner.
From what I read, it seems like the oxalic acid is broken down during cooking, so I tried to use that to my advantage in these spicy spinach quesadillas. With one quick step of pre-cooking and rinsing the spinach, I seemed to wash away the crystal-creating acid. (I’m sure I also washed away some vitamins, but you can’t cook your spinach and eat the vitamins too.)
These cheesy, dreamy, spicy spinach quesadillas are full of flavor, and we didn’t notice chalky teeth at all. If you want a mild version, just use monterey jack cheese and mild salsa instead. Serve with authentic margaritas if you please. Cheers!
I think you’ll also like these recipes:
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Lime - May 26, 2016
- Cinnamon Apple Cookies with Oatmeal - May 25, 2016
- Weekly Meal Plan #174: Cheesy Goodness and More - May 20, 2016
- Easy Banana Nut Smoothie Recipe - May 19, 2016
- Layered Chicken Chile Relleno Casserole - May 17, 2016
- Weekly Dinner Menu #173: Two Meal Plans Collide - May 13, 2016
- Crock Pot BBQ Chicken with Applesauce - May 10, 2016
- Raspberry Recipes: Pies, Cocktails, and More! - May 9, 2016
- Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #172: Bad Luck - May 7, 2016
- Easy Guacamole Tostadas with Added Protein - May 3, 2016