This Chicken Tater Tot Casserole is a one-dish dinner that’s simple to mix up and put in the oven, and the whole family will love it!
This weekend I was so excited to reach 15,000 Facebook fans (thank you!!) that I ran an impromptu giveaway. To enter, folks just needed to comment on a post telling me one of their favorite things to have for dinner. Reading all the responses made me so hungry! I think tacos and steak were the most common answers, but one reader named Pam answered Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole. I was in love just reading the name of that dish! Cheese, chicken, and tots? What’s not to like?
I don’t know what Pam’s version is like, but I knew I needed to make my own because it just sounded too good. Of course it needed to be easy, and I wanted it to be an all-in-one dish so I wouldn’t have to make a side to go with it. I hope you’ll love the casserole that I came up with. It’s sort of a cross between chicken pot pie and tater tot casserole, but with more cheese. Check the recipe instructions to options to cut down on prep or bake time depending on which you have more time and energy to do.
Speaking of bake times, the fact that I’m bringing you this recipe this week really proves that I love you guys. I made it in the middle of a 90-degree day in San Francisco! That was just poor planning on my part, but if I didn’t want to hurry and get the recipe to you, I wouldn’t have gone through with it. When the weather cools down, we’ll be having this on the regular I’m pretty sure. Let me know when you get a chance to try the recipe!Print
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sour cream (reduced fat is OK)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese divided
- 1 packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 28 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13″ pan with cooking spray.
- (See notes at the bottom for alternate directions to reduce baking time.) Stir together uncooked chicken, vegetables, sour cream, ONE cup of cheese, and taco seasoning until evenly combined. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Arrange frozen tater tots evenly over the chicken mixture. You probably don’t need the whole bag, but I made them all fit. Cover with foil, and bake 30 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove foil, and bake 20 minutes longer. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over tots, and bake 5 minutes more before serving.
- To cut down on bake time and get a creamier filling, saute the chicken and frozen vegetables together in a skillet until heated through, then drain. Stir in taco seasoning, cheese, and sour cream with those hot ingredients and bake uncovered for 30 minutes total.
- This casserole is great leftover. If you reheat it in the microwave in an broiler-safe bowl, you can place the bowl under the broiler for 3-5 minutes to make your tater tots crispy again.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
Want more hearty potato casseroles? Here you go!