Being from the South, I’m not sure how I only recently heard of combining shrimp and grits. I have certainly eaten more than my fair share of each, but never together. After seeing two different recipes in one week, I had to try this for myself, and I’m so glad I did! This version of baked shrimp and grits is adapted from both recipes. I encourage you to go check out each one and try whichever one appeals most to you. Just be sure to try shrimp and grits!Print
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese reduced fat is fine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound raw medium shrimp peeled and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8″ square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring broth, milk, salt, and cayenne pepper to a low boil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Slowly pour in grits while whisking, and whisk until smooth. Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until grits are thickened but still soupy.
- Add cream cheese and butter, and stir and continue cooking until melted. Add cheddar cheese, turn off heat, and stir until melted. Add shrimp and chives, and gently stir until combined.
- Pour grits mixture into prepared baking dish, and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
Casserole will seem runny if served right out of the oven, but it will firm up after resting for a few minutes. If you substitute green onions for chives, slice them very thin or the flavor may be overpowering.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Southern
Try these easy side dishes!