Enjoy the flavor of enchiladas the easy and low carb way with this simple Enchilada Chicken Bake recipe!
Hey there, Weary Chef readers! It’s Dee from Meatloaf and Melodrama, and I’m super excited to be sharing this easy, cheesy Enchilada Chicken Bake with you today!
I absolutely love enchiladas, especially enchiladas smothered in red sauce and loads of cheese — they’re my fave! The only problem is that they don’t really fit the definition of a quick and easy dinner. I mean, they do if you make them ahead of time and pop them in the oven when you’re ready to eat, but I don’t always plan ahead. We usually have them only once or twice a year, or I make our this easier Southwestern Lasagna, instead.
When I saw the incredible Cheesy Mexican Meatballs that were posted here not long ago, I knew I had to make them! Really, what a brilliant way to enjoy the taste of enchiladas without all of the work! I went out and bought the sauce, cheese and everything I needed to make the enchilada meatballs, and then I got home and realized I forgot the ground beef. Seriously. I think I had the kids with me and got distracted, as usual. So it was on to plan B!
I did happen to have some chicken breasts on hand, and I decided to use those, instead. After all, I usually make chicken enchiladas, and this is practically the same thing — only without the tortillas. And actually, it’s even easier to make this chicken enchilada bake because there’s no mixing, rolling or anything else.
Just add the chicken to a casserole dish, season it, cover everything with enchilada sauce, and bake! And if you want to make it easier, you can skip the extra seasoning. I happen to love the extra spice, but if the enchilada sauce is enough for you, that’s perfectly fine!
When the chicken is just about done, you smother it with cheese and let it bake for about five minutes longer or until the cheese is all melted and gooey and all that good stuff. Then, you can top the chicken with tomatoes, olives, avocado, guacamole, sour cream or whatever you like best!
We have had this chicken enchilada bake three times already, and my family raves about it every time. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups grated cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a large baking dish with a thin layer of nonstick spray or olive oil.
- Add chicken to baking dish and season with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Cover with enchilada sauce and bake for 25 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Top with cheese and bake for about 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with sour cream, avocado slices, tomatoes, shredded lettuce or your favorite enchilada toppings.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
Looking for more ways to enjoy enchiladas? Check out these recipes!