Bite into this BLT pizza loaded with a bacon, red onion, fresh tomatoes, arugula, cheeses, and a garlic-mayo sauce. It’s your favorite sandwich turned into a chewy pizza!
Hi! I’m Sheila from Life, Love, and Good Food, and I’m excited to bring you my recipe for BLT Pizza.
What’s the next best thing to a fresh, toasty BLT sandwich? A cheesy BLT Pizza! You’ll go to pizza heaven when you taste the garlicky mayo sauce, loads of crispy bacon, red onion, fresh tomatoes, all topped with nutty arugula, and… get this…more BACON!
On most Friday nights, we like to chill out after a long work week with pizza and a movie. Sometimes we order in, but recently we’ve discovered fresh pizza dough in the deli and have really enjoyed coming up with our own creative pizza combinations.
My new favorite at-home pizza is my BLT (Bacon, Arugula Lettuce, Tomato) on whole wheat crust. The pizza sauce is low-fat olive oil mayonnaise mixed with a minced garlic clove and a bit more olive oil. Spread this on top of the pizza dough and then top with the bacon and red onion.
Next, add a layer of mozzarella cheese and a very thinly sliced tomato. To keep fresh tomatoes from making your pizza wet or soggy, slice them ahead of time, sprinkle with a little salt, and “drain” the slices on paper towels for about 20 minutes.
Finish the pizza off with a good sprinkle of parmesan cheese before baking. The parmesan cheese helps the tomatoes crisp up a little and will bake into a nice golden color. This pizza looks so yummy when you remove it from the oven, but don’t skip the arugula—it adds a whole new dimension of flavor to this pie!
After the pizza bakes, pile on the arugula and garnish with the remaining bacon. I also like to chop a little extra tomato and onion to garnish the pizza.
Trust me, this pizza is addictive!
- 1/3 cup low-fat olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 16 ounces whole wheat pizza dough (I get mine at the Publix deli.)
- 8 ounces center-cut bacon fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion separated into rings
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
30 Minutes Before Baking:
- Allow pizza dough to rest at room temperature so that it will be elastic and easier to shape.
- Slice the tomato into very thin slices and place on a paper-towel lined plate or tray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow to drain for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Shake off any excess and set aside. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on parchment paper and transfer to the pizza pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the pizza sauce ingredients (mayo, olive oil, and garlic). Spread the mixture evenly over the dough.
- Layer the toppings in this order: Half the bacon, red onion rings, and then mozzarella cheese. Add tomato slices, and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. (Chop extra tomato and onion for garnish if desired.)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 – 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly.
- To serve, top pizza with the baby arugula, remaining bacon, and chopped tomatoes onion, if desired.
- Prep Time: 10
- Passive Time: 30
- Cook Time: 20