Here’s a great weeknight dinner that’s something a little different. Try this chicken stir fry with andouille sausage and a creamy Cajun sauce!
I’m so excited that I have two blog-related trips coming up over the next couple months. It used to cause me major anxiety to even go to a mom’s night out and leave my kids, so going out of town without my family is major news for me. (Thanks anxiety medication!) It also helps that my boys are older now, and I think they can handle life without Mommy for a couple days more easily than a couple years ago.
The hard part is that since I’ve never left them with anyone else, I don’t have anyone to help take care of them while I’m gone! Usually if I have somewhere I need to be, my husband adjusts his schedule to cover for me, but I can’t ask him to take days off his work so I can go on a trip for my work. I realized we needed an actual babysitter, so I got up the nerve to sign up for Care.com and hire someone. Searching through candidates and talking to them is practically a full-time job on its own. I need a babysitter to watch my kids while I look for a babysitter!
I do have a few leads, and hopefully I’ll find someone awesome. My kids will probably like a fun, young, energetic sitter even more than me! I’m not really any of those things, just a boring, weary, un-fun mom. I do wonder what they will eat while I’m gone. I am in charge of feeding everyone in the house! My kids will do fine with things like mac and cheese, quesadillas, and hot dogs like they usually eat, but what about my husband?
Maybe I’ll make up a big batch of this creamy, satisfying stir fry before I go. It’s great to make ahead and reheat later, and it only takes about 25 minutes to prepare. You can serve it over rice or pasta or just on its own as shown here if you are looking for a low-carb meal. You could also change up the sausage and seasoning to make it with different flavors. I think you’ll love this easy, versatile dinner idea!Print
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 12 ounces chicken andouille sausage sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper roughly chopped (or use baby bell peppers as shown)
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen green beans cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 3/4 cup half and half or use a combination of half and half and milk if desired
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Add olive oil to a 12″ skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and sausage, and stir fry until starting to brown.
- Add chicken, bell pepper, green beans, and garlic. Stir fry until chicken is cooked through and green beans are cooked to desired tenderness. Reduce heat to low.
- Whisk together half and half, cornstarch, and Cajun seasoning. Pour over chicken mixture in skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened.
If made ahead, add a couple tablespoons of water when reheating to restore the creaminess to the sauce.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Cajun
If stir fry recipes are your thing, check out these other recipes!