This simple everyday chicken legs recipe is easy to make with simple and affordable ingredients. You just coat the drumsticks with a mixture of olive oil and your favorite spices, then bake them for about 40 minutes in the oven. The chicken legs come crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. A delicious jackpot!
After a season full of desserts, bubble teas, and cocktail recipes, it’s finally time for something more serious, don’t you think? However, you know me… some super easy-to-make crispy drumsticks are “serious” enough for everybody around here. If they are crispy, hearty, and flavored, they are exactly what we need for any family dinner. Chicken legs will remain kids’ favorites, and you can always pair them with some fresh salad for any picky adult.
Chicken Legs Recipe FAQ
Before we start preparing this simple chicken recipe, I think we should learn more about storing chicken meat and cooking it. When it comes to temperatures and time, it’s super easy to mess up a fine recipe. So, please thoroughly follow the cooking process of the chicken drumsticks.
What Do You Put on Chicken Legs in the Oven?
Apart from olive oil, salt, and pepper, you can use any other condiments and herbs you and your family prefer. I still noted in the recipe below all the condiments and amounts I usually use when I prepare this recipe. You can, however, go for the main recipe or adapt.
How to Store Chicken Drumsticks Leftovers?
To make the best of the shelf life of cooked chicken legs, refrigerate them in shallow airtight containers or wrap them tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Properly stored, cooked chicken meat will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. However, trust me, they won’t resist this long! My little monsters eat them all during one family dinner.
Also, if you want to know more details about safely storing chicken and turkey meat, you can take a look at these guys’ tips and tricks.
How Long Does It Take to Bake Chicken Legs at 400?
400 degrees is the perfect temperature for baking chicken legs. Cooking chicken drumsticks at 400 degrees for 40 minutes will make them come out nicely crispy and cooked all the way through.
You just have to preheat the oven to 400°F. Then, bake the chicken legs uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 175°F on your meat thermometer.
How to Make Chicken Legs in the Oven
I think we are more than prepared to start preparing this chicken recipe. You just have to follow the ingredient list and the step-by-step recipe below. Also, I prepared for you a quick and easy video recipe for these crispy chicken legs. You’ll find it right under the instructions below.
Ingredients List for Crispy Chicken Legs
- 8 skin-on chicken drumsticks (about 2 lb. total weight);
- 2 tablespoons olive oil;
- 1 teaspoon salt;
- ½ teaspoon black pepper;
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder;
- 1 teaspoon onion powder;
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika;
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper;
- ½ teaspoon rosemary.
Step-by-Step Recipe for Baked Chicken Legs
Now that you know what you need to prepare the chicken legs, here is what you’ll need to do:
- First of all, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, place the chicken legs in a baking dish.
- Make the seasoning mixture in a medium bowl. Use a fork or a spatula to mix the olive oil, salt, pepper, and other spices.
- Using a pastry brush or your hands, coat the chicken pieces with the seasoning mixture.
- Bake the drumsticks uncovered for about 40 minutes (until their internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F).
- Let them rest for 5 minutes and serve.
Baked Chicken Legs Video Recipe
Side Dishes for Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Now that we know how to prepare these crispy and delicious chicken legs, we must learn what easy side dishes we can make while the drumsticks are in the oven.
- This Longhorn Mashed Potatoes recipe is one buttery and garlic-flavored way to serve your potatoes at home. You can also prepare this restaurant-style side dish with more than affordable ingredients in less than 1 hour.
- Do you know how to make rice? I hope you said yes because if so, then you know how to make this incredibly simple and tasty side dish! You only need a handful of ingredients to make a rice dish that rivals risotto (without all that stirring). I used medium grain white rice, but you can use whatever variety of rice you like (even quinoa if you prefer)!
- This Longhorn Garlic Parmesan Broccoli recipe is the best way to serve steamed broccoli at home. Additionally, you can prepare this restaurant-style broccoli in under 15 minutes with only 4 main ingredients. Isn’t this just great?
Enjoy Your Crispy Chicken Legs!
Finally, it’s your time to share your experience with this chicken drumsticks recipe and all your thoughts on it. Therefore, tell me everything in the comments section below: What do you think about the chicken leg recipe and the seasoning I used? Did you experience any problems when baking the drumsticks? Did your kids enjoy this dish? Additionally, did you go for the main recipe or did you improvise? If you went extra, let us all know how that went!
Last but not least, if you are a chicken meat lover and what some more recipes like this one, try these favorites of mine: