Today I am excited to bring you this delicious, super easy mac and cheese recipe!
How often do you eat mac and cheese at your house? I can’t say that I eat it as often as I’d like, but my kids are more than familiar with the dish. Since macaroni and cheese is one thing they both love; it makes an appearance on their plates probably three times a week.
I’m not afraid to admit that often times it’s frozen mac and cheese from TJs or boxed mac and cheese because I’m scrambling to make their food in about 15 minutes, but when I have time I make them this homemade version. It is so worth the little bit of extra effort!
When I think of macaroni and cheese, a container of cottage cheese is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind. When I found Chuck’s Favorite Mac and Cheese recipe, I was skeptical but had to try it based on its simplicity and all the great reviews. I wasn’t disappointed.
I altered the recipe a bit to add milk, use reduced-fat (not fat free) ingredients, and eliminate the bread crumb topping. (That is my personal preference, but if you like a crunchy topping on your mac, mix 1/4 c. melted butter with 1 c. bread or cracker crumbs and sprinkle over the top before baking.)
The whole family loves this recipe and requests it often. I think my kids would even choose it over the boxed stuff, which is a pretty big compliment coming from them. I hope your family enjoys this easy mac and cheese too!Print
Easy Mac and Cheese
This mac and cheese is as easy as cooking pasta and stirring it together with a few ingredients. Bake and enjoy!
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 5 1x
- 12 ounces macaroni or your choice of bite-sized pasta
- 8 ounces reduced-fat sour cream or plain yogurt
- 16 ounces low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 8 ounces 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese (shredded yourself is better)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Spray a 1-1/2 qt. casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Stir pasta into cheese mixture, then spread into casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until hot and bubbly. Stir together before serving to evenly distribute the cheese sauce.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Dinner, Kid Food, Pasta and Noodles, Side Dishes
- Cuisine: International
This isn’t my first time at the mac and cheese rodeo. Try these tasty recipes too!
Kathy Jamieson says
I made this recipe exactly as written. I am 60 years old and I think this is only my second time to make mac n cheese. It was fabulous. I doubled the recipe since I was going to a party with 12 people. The dish was almost empty (people loved it).
Andrew Wells says
Looks great. Wish I had a bowl, like right now