This Baked Chicken Parmesan is healthier, easier, and less messy than the classic version. Your family or guests will love this easy Italian dinner recipe!
Do you love Italian food? Chicken parmigiana has always been one of my favorite Italian dishes. I used to make it at home a lot when Matt and I were first married, but it was always a bit messy to pan fry the chicken. Maybe that’s why I haven’t made it in a long while, but that’s going to change now that I have this baked version!
I promise this Baked Chicken Parm recipe is just as good as fried. Maybe even better! It’s not oily or heavy, but the parmesan coated chicken bakes up nice and crisp. Since I personally can’t eat wheat breadcrumbs, I made a coating of grated parmesan cheese and spelt flour. You can use regular all-purpose flour or whatever kind of flour you like of course. Whole wheat flour works too!
If you can buy thin-sliced chicken breasts, those are perfect for this chicken parmesan recipe since they bake pretty quickly. Don’t worry if you only have thick pieces of chicken though. You can cut your own thin-sliced breasts easily by carefully cutting the chicken horizontally into two thin pieces. I show you how in this how-to video:
How to Make Baked Chicken Parmesan
Once you have your chicken ready, all you need to do is dip it into seasoned, beaten egg and then coat it in the parmesan mixture. The first time I made this chicken, I baked it on a wire rack because I thought it would make the chicken crispier. The chicken ended up sticking to the rack (even with cooking spray), and it was a mess to clean up.
You can eat this baked chicken parmesan on its own with a vegetable on the side, serve it over pasta with a salad, or combine those two ideas by serving it on top of spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles! My whole family loved this chicken, so it’s definitely a family-friendly dish, but it’s also perfect for a date night or guests. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :)
- 4 thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup marinara sauce (approximate measure)
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In one shallow bowl, use a fork to beat egg with onion powder, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- In another shallow bowl, stir together flour, parmesan cheese, basil, and oregano.
- Dip each chicken piece into egg mixture, and allow excess egg to drip off. Then, press egg-coated chicken into the flour/parmesan mixture, coating all sides evenly.
- Place coated chicken pieces in a single layer on the prepared baking dish. (Sprinkle a little extra flour mixture over any spots you missed.) Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. (Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.)
- Carefully remove pan from oven. Spread marinara sauce evenly over the top of each piece of chicken, and arrange the cheese slices over the sauce. (I tear the cheese slices to fit the chicken.)
- Return chicken to the oven and bake about 5 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
More chicken parmesan inspired recipes you won’t want to miss!!