This Chicken Parmesan Casserole gives you the taste of a favorite Italian dish in an easy pasta bake recipe!
Warm, satisfying dinners like this chicken parmesan casserole are my favorite way to end the day. I love to be safe and sound at home in the evenings and would almost always take that over going out! This weekend our friends offered to watch our boys for a couple hours so we could have some kid-free time. At first it was going to be for an early dinner, but then we realized that didn’t really want to go to dinner at 6:00 and then come home and do the bustle of the bedtime routine. We are used to eating pretty late, and once I’ve had dinner I’m ready to relax!
We moved the time a little earlier and went to the mall instead. We wandered around and didn’t buy anything, and then we ended our afternoon date with a quick Trader Joe’s run. Yes, I’m serious! We are party animals. Call me crazy, but I would rather go wander around a mall kid free and then come home and relax with an easy dinner like a tasty casserole. This dish is the perfect way to get the flavor of classic chicken parmesan with a lot less effort.
This pseudo chicken parm makes a lot of food. It could easily feed a family of six, but if you have a smaller family then it makes great leftovers. My boys love getting warm leftover pasta in their lunches since they are sort of burned out on sandwiches, and I love having a an easy lunch to heat and eat too.
The next time you want an easy family dinner or a fun (at home) date-night meal, you won’t be disappointed with this warm, cheesy casserole.Print
- 14 ounces box of bite-sized pasta like penne or rotini
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 28 ounces jar marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain.
- While pasta cooks, spray a 12″ skillet or dutch oven with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, chicken, salt, a few grinds of pepper, and garlic. Saute until onion is tender and chicken is cooked through. Stir in marinara sauce, and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a glass bowl in the microwave until melted. Stir bread crumbs and basil into the melted butter, and set aside.
- Turn off heat on the sauce. Stir in cooked pasta and mozzarella cubes, and transfer pasta mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle buttery bread crumbs over the pasta, and sprinkle parmesan cheese over that.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian
Find more dinner recipes you’d like to try right here!