You won’t regret starting or ending your day with this satisfying and easy hashbrown casserole with ham and cheese!You can make it ahead of time, and it’s great leftover. I’m sure it will be a big hit at your house too.
I guess this easy hashbrown casserole could be considered a breakfast dish, but I say ham, potatoes, and cheese are welcome at any time of day. I’m not sure why hashbrowns = breakfast and french fries = dinner. I don’t need to pigeonhole my potatoes like that. I’ll gladly take any kinds of potatoes at any time. How about you?
This simple breakfast casserole takes about an hour to bake but only 10-15 minutes to assemble. You can make it up to 24 hours ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to bake. Try using pepper jack cheese if you are looking to add some spice.
Make ahead meals make me so, so happy. I love knowing that dinner is already made when I get it ready earlier in the day, whether that means a slow cooker meal or a casserole like this one. This hashbrown casserole is so great leftover that it can give me that happy “dinner is already done” more than once! Leftover dinners are at least as good as make ahead ones, right?
This casserole pairs great with fruit salad at breakfast or mixed greens at lunch or dinner. I have served this baked hashbrown casserole at mid-morning parties, taken it as a pop-in-the-oven meal for a new mom, or enjoyed it for breakfast or dinner at our house. It’s probably one of my recipes I’ve made the most over the years, and it’s always a hit. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
How to Make Easy Hashbrown Casserole?Print
- 5 cups frozen hashbrown potatoes
- 2 slices ham diced (ask for 1/2″-inch slices at the deli and cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup green onion diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together potatoes, ham, 1/2 c. cheese, and green onions. Spread mixture evenly in prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, evaporated milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Pour evenly over potato mixture.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. cheese over casserole. Bake uncovered an additional 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Adapted from Farmer’s Casserole at AllRecipes.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: International
Don’t miss these other breakfast casseroles: