This easy Tater Tot Hot Dish is a perfect family dinner or potluck favorite. A hearty filling is topped with crispy tater tots for a truly comforting meal.
I love me a good casserole. I like cooking them because the prep is usually pretty easy, and then I can pop them in the oven and go on about my business. I like eating them because they are usually comforting and loaded with tasty flavor and texture combinations.
This Tater Tot Hot Dish fits the bill for one of those easy and comforting casseroles we all love. Ground turkey (or beef or chicken!) is combined with onions, cream soup, sour cream, and peas and carrots. That savory filling is topped with shredded cheese and then frozen tater tots.
My whole family loves tater tots. My youngest said he didn’t like them until a few months ago, so I thought he might have been switched at the hospital or something. He came to his senses though and now understands how delicious they are. I love the crisp outside and creamy inside of a perfectly baked tot! Baking them on top of a casserole and calling it dinner is my idea of dinner heaven.
I’ve only lived in the south and California, so I hadn’t heard of hot dishes until recently. They are one-pan baked meals featuring a creamy, meaty filling with potatoes on top. That sounds like a casserole to me, but in the midwest they call it a hot dish. Whatever you want to call it, just make this meal at home very soon!
You can adjust the filling to incorporate your favorite veggies. Try peas and carrots, corn, or mushrooms would be a great addition too. If your family eats vegetables better than mine, broccoli or squash would be tasty too! I served mine with a salad on the side since my kids eat that better than if I get too creative with veggies mixed in…
This hot dish is best right out of the oven when the tater tots are crisp, but it tastes good leftover too. It’s perfect for potlucks, church dinners, or taking to a friend who is under the weather or just had a baby. Be sure to bookmark or pin this recipe to keep it handy. I have a feeling you’ll want to make it again and again!Print
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 16 ounces 93% lean ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 10 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup (I like Pacific brand because it’s organic and gluten free.)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9″ baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add onion, and saute for about three minutes.
- Add ground meat and seasoned salt. Brown and crumble the meat until cooked through.
- Stir in frozen vegetables, soup, and sour cream until smooth. Bring to a simmer, and then cook for about 3 minutes. Spread mixture from skillet into prepared baking dish.
- Spread cheese over the top of the filling, and then arrange tater tots in a single layer over the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and tots are golden brown. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Casseroles, Dinner
- Cuisine: American